By Cox Media Group National Content Desk
A new little princess has finally received her name and it's one with a lot of world and family history behind it.
Princess Charlotte will now be officially known as Her Royal Highness Princess Charlotte of Cambridge, royal officials announced Monday. Her full name is Charlotte Elizabeth Diana.
Here are five things to know about the name Charlotte.
1. Charlotte is the feminine form of Charles. Some are saying the name is a nod to Prince Charles, Charlotte's grandfather. Elizabeth, is, of course, in honor of her Great Grandmother, and Diana is in honor of her Grandmother.
2. Charlotte, according to BabyNames.com, has English and French origins and means free.
3. Charlotte is popular in the United States with the name coming in No. 11 in 2013 according to the Social Security Administration. It was No. 1 on BabyName.com's list of most popular names in 2014. In England, it was the 21st most popular girl's name in 2013, according to the Office for National Statistics.
4. Charlotte is a name of royalty. There was Queen Charlotte, born Sophie in 1744, who was married to George III. Buckingham House, known now as Buckingham Palace, was bought for Queen Charlotte and was known as the Queen's House, The BBC reported.
5. Charlotte is also the middle name of Duchess Catherine's sister, Pippa Middleton, according to The Mirror.
Take m.1033theeagle.com everywhere you go! Download your app below from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store:
Enable our Skill today to listen live at home on your Alexa Devices!